VK3UA's Blog About Amateur (Ham) Radio Activities

Hi. Welcome to VK3UA's Blog about Ham Radio. This site is mainly for me to record and remember my ham radio and electronics activities. I hope that you find something interesting and/or useful to you here. 73 de Cambo.

Monday 13 May 2013

Trans Tasman Contest 80 Metre Phone 2013

I had a great evening on the radio operating QRP (5 watts) in the Trans Tasman 80 Metre Phone Contest on the 11th May. It ran for six hours, with the 5 best one hour blocks being used for the final score.
VK Contest Log was used for logging and did an excellent job.


I used my Yaesu FT-817 with 7.2 ah SLA battery.
Also have an internal W4RT battery.
It made it through the contest but was down to about 3 watts at the end as the voltage dropped.

The antenna I used was an 80m 1/2 wave dipole supported at the centre with a 5 metre squid pole and the ends also approx 5 metres strung up in the trees. I managed to orient it pretty well towards NZ and managed 18 ZL contacts with 10 different stations. 

I also worked VK9NT in 4 blocks .


Total contacts: 130

I logged with VKCL with my Asus EEE PC Netbook. It just made it before internal battery expired, however, unlike a lot of laptops, it runs also from external 12V, so no problem to run it from SLA battery. Great for portable logging and PSK.

I really had a great time. Even the wx was mild.

Thanks to all those who went to the extra effort to get a contact with me operating QRP.

73

Cambo



VK3UA QRP Portable contest station.
Yaesu FT-817
Tokyo Hi-Power ATU
12V 7.2 AH SLA Battery in carry case.
Asus EEE PC