VK3UA's Blog About Amateur (Ham) Radio Activities

Hi. Welcome to VK3UA's Blog about Ham Radio. This site is mainly for me to record and remember my ham radio and electronics activities. I hope that you find something interesting and/or useful to you here. 73 de Cambo.

Sunday 19 May 2013

SOTA: VK3/VC-004 Mt Observation Activation Attempt

SOTA
VK3/VC-004 Mt Observation
18th May, 2013

I decided to try to activate Mt Observation, near Marysville. The summit is actually exactly on the border of the Yarra Ranges National Park and the Yarra State forest, so I figured I could also activate the NP at the same time.

As it hadn't been activated yet, I figured it must be difficult to get to, as there has been a quite high level of summit activation activity in VK3 in 2013.

I was right.



After some Google Earth checking, and a Forest Explorer check, I found that there are no roads or walking tracks to the summit. Observation "Road" (thats a joke - it should be Observation 4x4 2 wheel rut track. Hi.) comes the closest, but even if you have a 4x4 vehicle, it is gated shut with no access available.

When I got to Marysville, I found it was closed in with low cloud and drizzle. It had been like that for 5 days, even though it had been fine down in Melbourne.

Due to the weather, and expected hard going in the bush, I tried to leave my Trip Intentions with police in Marysville, but the station was closed and apparently no-one would be on duty until the evening. I did drop into the Tourist Information centre but they don't take trip intentions due to closing at 4 pm. As the conditions were so bad, I left a trip intention note on the dashboard of my van giving my destination and estimated time of return. I figured if I didn't make it back, some-one would notice my vehicle still there.



I parked on the side of the road at a point where it was about 1500 metres from the summit, and there was ridge line leading up that wasn't so steep called Mt Arnold Saddle.

Due to the previous rain and 5 days of constant cloud cover drizzle, it was really slippery under foot. And the bush is thick. So thick, it took me half an hour to go 300 metres in the conditions. I stopped and estimated how long it would take to reach the summit (another 1200 metres) at the current rate of progress as it didn't look like getting any easier ahead. If I kept going, assuming an hour to activate I would not be able to get back before the light failed. In fact I would probably have to navigate in the dark for more than an hour. It was too dangerous to continue. Reluctantly, I made the decision to turn around and head back to the van.

Thick bush on Mt Arnold Saddle. Wet and slippery under foot.
I am 188cm (6' 2") and most of this was hitting me in the face, or higher than me.

By the time I got back to the van, it had closed in even more and was very murky. I was soaking wet and cold. I decided it was a good decision to pull out.

I think from a safety perspective, it would be best if a party of 2 or more was organised to activate this summit. It would probably also be safer in summer, when the bush is dry ( bushfires not-withstanding) although with more people, winter is probably OK.

So, activation attempt one did not go so well. While it was disappointing not to make it, I now have a lot more knowledge to plan attempt two with.

Postscript:
After this activation attempt, I found out there is an access restriction in place to this area. If you want to try to access this summit you must get permission from Yarra Water who manages the area.

73

Cambo