VK3UA's Blog About Amateur (Ham) Radio Activities

Hi. Welcome to VK3UA's Blog about Ham Radio. This site is mainly for me to record and remember my ham radio and electronics activities. I hope that you find something interesting and/or useful to you here. 73 de Cambo.

Saturday 29 January 2022

VK Tech Net - beginnings

I had been thinking about starting a net on 80 Metres for a long time. 

Not that there aren't enough nets around, but on the whole they are pretty bland. Just "g'day, nice weather, my sciatica is playing up, 73". 

While I am not against chat or welfare nets, they just don't get my interest. 

I want to talk about Ham Radio. You know, electronics, transmitters, receivers, components, accessories, mobile set-ups, portable operating gear and "go bags", field day how to, modes of operation, and of course, antennas. 

Basically anything and everything technical about ham radio, in the broader sense of the word.

I believe there is just not enough of this information being disseminated (look it up) on the air regularly.

Anyway, a conversation with local ham Steve, VK3ZPG, and subsequent conversations with some recently licensed hams at the club, prompted me to make a decision and kick things off. The net is not a club activity. This is open to all licensed hams that can hear us and want to participate.

I have had a lot of thoughts about the format and how to run it, but ultimately, it's going to be suck it and see. The net will evolve in it's own way.

Will it work? Is the interest there?

My hope is that it will be useful.

Time will tell.

73

Cambo